No ‘Poo update.
As part of the expected “detox period,” there’s some issues, i.e., grease.
I am supposedly detoxifying from—well, what else?—toxins in shampoo. However, I’ve been using Hugo Naturals shampoo (no conditioner) for about a month, and it’s free from toxins found in most shampoos—sulfates, parabens, petroleum products, alcohols, synthetic colors and fragrances, etc.
I’m also thinking, "Just how long is this nebulous period, anyway?” (Why does the word period never connote anything good?)
I’m blindly groping around with this, hoping it will work out. There’s entire no ‘poo communities out there, ready to offer support for every alternative hair care question one could have, but nothing is clear cut—different things work for everybody.
In the summer I tend to forget about things like taking showers, so no ‘poo could be really useful—you only need to wash your hair once or twice a week, as it gets truly dirty (a detail I left unclear in my initial post). The thing is, I get sweaty quite often in the summer, so it would get dirty more often. So I’m not sure how that balances out.
- June 10: On Thursday, I went swimming – no shower. The salt could not have been good for my hair, and the next morning my hair was obviously greasy.
- June 11: So Friday before lunch, I massaged my hair and scalp with baking soda, and rinsed it (hair, not the scalp) with 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar + 1 cup water + a few drops lavender essential oil. It wasn’t tangly, a problem I encountered last summer, but now I have short hair.
A couple hours after washing, it looked greasy again. Great.
- June 12: Saturday I just hid my hair behind my trusty head-band.
- June 13: On Sunday I washed it with baking soda, but not the vinegar rinse because my hair didn’t feel like it needed the conditioning. Now it looks greasy and thick at the roots, but overall it’s not too bad—good enough for church!
- June 14: Monday was terrible… I was embarrassed for my appearance. My parents wonder why in the world I’m doing this and I wonder why in the world I’m doing this.
- June 15: Tuesday morning I went on a bike ride, got super-sweaty in the 95 degrees+ weather, and took a shower. I used the baking soda and the apple cider vinegar rinse (see below).
- June 16: I went swimming Wednesday afternoon, so my hair isn’t greasy, just stiff.
I prepared a bottle of rinse:
- 1 quart (4 cups) water + 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (clarify, detangle, balance hair pH, seal cuticles)
- 1 cinnamon stick + 1/4 tsp. vanilla (scent)
Am I crazy? Is this worth it?
PS – I have a question for you: If you could use just two spices(besides salt and pepper) for two months, which would they be?
If you enjoyed this post, please